March 29, 2010
Seasonal Allergies and Your Sleep
Spring is here, so let us start out with this: Gesundheit!
If you suffer from frequent bouts of sniffles and sneezes, fending off your next attack and feeling normal again can really start to feel like a lost cause after a while.
It’s surely evident that bearing the symptoms – constant achoos, runny nose, stuffy head – without spot-on treatment has affected your mood and concentration at some point. If you’re still in search of the best remedy, your condition is also likely affecting your sleep, too.
Experts say that allergies can fragment sleep, and a 2006 French study even found that those with allergic rhinitis from hay fever are more than twice as likely to have a sleep disorder. So, your yawn-filled days may have less to do with your Letterman watching than your breathing difficulties and discomfort.
Stop “dealing” and see your doctor. Many experience substantial relief when the best treatment regimen is finally settled on, which may take some trial and error. Depending on the severity and longevity of your symptoms, your doctor may explore:
- Over-the-counter allergy medications or nasal sprays
- Prescriptions allergy medications, nasal sprays and/or inhalers
- Immunotherapy (allergy shots)
But it’s important to remember that you need to take special steps in your day-to-day to tame your allergies, too. (Sorry – these guys are a bit too tricky to be tamed by a little pill!)
Take these tips to heart, speak to your physician, and get some spring back in your step (and rest back in your nights) this allergy season.
- Be diligent about cleaning, especially your bedroom. Vacuum and dust regularly.
- Consider hypoallergenic bedding and/or mattress and pillow covers.
- Wash bedding in hot water to remove allergens.
- Dry bedding in the dryer instead of hanging it on a clothes line, where pollen and other allergens can settle.
- Keep windows closed to reduce the risk of outdoor allergens coming in.
- If pet dander is an issue, keep your critters out of your bedroom.
Brought to you by www.findmymattress.com
Other articles you might enjoy: